Housing Options - Council and Housing Association
On 9th March 2009 Newport became the first city in Wales to successfully transfer its housing stock to Newport City Homes. The Council no longer owns any properties but advertises all affordable housing for low cost home ownership and rent on the weekly Home Options Newport advert (pdf).
Home Options Newport uses Choice Based Lettings to allocate housing. This means to be considered for the advertised properties, you have to be registered for housing. You can register for the housing register by going to Newport Home Options website and you then have to ‘bid’ for properties in areas that you are willing to live in.
What Is Home Options?
Home Options is a choice based lettings scheme which enables people who are looking for housing to get information about housing association homes for part purchase or for rent, as well as opportunities within the private rented sector. Registered users can express an interest in a property (bid) through a variety of channels - internet (using the website), text message, phone and postal coupon, by digi tv and in person at any of the partners offices.
Expressing an interest ‘bidding’ means you tell us you’re interested in a property – no money changes hands.
The easiest way to register is on the Home Options website at https://www.homeoptionsnewport.co.uk if you are not able to register online you can call into the information station and use the computers in the self service area. If you require any help ask a member of staff who can assist you though the form.
You will need to make sure that you have all the relevant details to hand. These include:
- The name, address and date of birth of all household members
- Their telephone contact numbers
- A full address history of all household members
- A National Insurance number for the main and second applicant (this is not essential)
- Your employment and income details
- An email address (if you have one)
You may also be asked to supply:
- Any relevant information which supports your application such as medical information, issues you are experiencing in your current accommodation etc
- Any other information which is relevant. This could include why you left your previous accommodation or convictions for anti-social behaviour.
What about furniture?
Alternatively, you may want to find out whether you are eligible for a Community Care Grant or Budgeting Loan to help with the costs of furniture/household equipment or other costs associated with the move.
Graham & Co (email@example.com)
114 Commercial Street
Lewis & James
28 Malpas Road
Private Rented Sector Agencies
For a list of available properties in the private sector please see our list of Property Management Agencies.